Understanding God‘s Forgiveness
Read: Heb 8:12
Through Jesus’ death all the debts we owed have been paid. All our past has been
cleared by the blood of Jesus. Our sins have been washed away by the blood of the
lamb. 2 Cor 5:18-19; Col 1:21-22; Heb 4:15-16.
When you accepted Christ into your life, God did several things concerning your
sins and your past life:
1. He cast all your sins behind your back where He will no longer see them. Isa
2. He washed you whiter than snow. Ps 51:7; lsa 1:1 8.
3. He blotted out your transgressions Isa 44:21-22.
4. He removed your sins as far as east is from the west Ps 103:11-14. Giving your
life over to the Lord meant you were RESCUED FROM THE KINGDOM OF DARKNESS.
Some Biblical Examples
1. The Samaritan woman. Jn 4:4-26.
- She was an adulteress but she was saved and forgiven.
2. Peter denied Jesus. Jn 21:15-19.
- When he wept inrepentance, he was forgiven and restored to his
3. The parable of the Pharisee and the Publican (a tax collector) Luke 18:9-14.
- Pride hindered the Pharisee from receiving justification.
- Humility opened the door of forgiveness to the tax collector.
1. Complete repentance. He wants you to forsake your old ways of life. Isa 55:7;
2. Walking in forgiveness. You must learn to forgive yourself and others. Matt 6:9-15;
If Christ has forgiven you, then you must forgive yourself and forgive those who
have wronged you. Do not let the spirit of unforgiveness or resentment govern your
heart. Forgiveness brings freedom and joy.
3. Confessing your sins. Do not hide them.When you hide sin in your heart, you give
it power to rule over you and make you its slave.
Ps 32:2-5; Ezek.8:12,9:9; Ps 66:18;69:5.